A clean lawn mower air filter is a part of lawn mower maintenance, and the air filter is one of the essential components of a lawn mower engine performance. A dirty air filter is dangerous for lawn mower, and sometimes it stops the machine, which’s very annoying. If you want a high-performance lawn mower, then clean the air filter frequently.
You can clean the lawn mower air filters with boiling water and liquid soap. A clean lawn mower air filter prevents dust and dirt from entering and wearing out the engine. It will destroy the lawn mower’s engine if the dust or dirt clogged with the filter and got into the carburetor.
Types Of Lawn Mowers Air Filters
There are a few types of air filters available. But we use only three types of air filters.
- Foam filters
- Paper filters
- Dual-element filters
But the best is dual-element filters that have offered both foam and paper protection. It also features pre-cleaner elements and primary elements. It has a longer life than the other two filters, but you need to pay extra for it.
How do you check a lawn mower air filter?
A lawn mower air filter is usually located near the top or side of the engine. But if you did not find or understand where it’s located, then please check out the owner’s manual of your specific lawn mower model. I hope it will help you find out the air filters.
The air filters are usually encased within a metal or plastic shroud secured by a screw or snaps fittings. Now remove the screw or snaps fitting. Then inspect it to see its condition. If it is overly oily or dirty, then definitely clean or replace it.
Follow the simple 5 Step to Clean A Lawn Mower Filter
1. Disconnect the spark plug
Make sure that your lawn mower stops and disconnects the spark plug. Next, unscrew the housing where the air filter is located.
2. Clean the air filter
Once removed from the filter housing, pull out and wash the air filter in boiling water with liquid soap. These two-ingredient help to cut the grease and dust. Check there is no grease or dirt and rinsing the air filter. Also, drain the water as much as possible, and dry it.
3. Use a bit of motor oil or grease.
Double-check and make sure that the filter is dry. Then you squeeze a bit of motor oil or use grease. Never use not too much because too much oil or grease can be harmful to the exhaust.
4. Inspect The Rubber Gasket Dust
Inspect and clean the rubber gasket and make sure there is no exiting dirt or debris after your cleaning. Because dirt or debris prevents holding a tight seal if it is not sealed tightly, the dust is entering the engine, and the engine is worn out quickly.
5. Replace The Air Filter
Now replace the filter’s original position and covered it with the screw or snaps fitting. Never run your mower without any air filter and also don’t try to clean the paper filters. The best is to go with the fresh one.
Maintenance of different type of lawn mower air filter
Maintenance of a lawn mower air filter is the most important thing for engine performance. There are two common types of air filters available in the market.
- The Disposable Air Filter
The disposable air filter is made for a brief-term usage that’s typically effective for between one and three months and after that time of use it will become too clogged with dust, dirt, and debris to function efficiently.
But you can also clean it with a short air compressor. But advice is to go ahead with a fresh one and throw the old one.
- The Reusable Air Filter
We also know the reusable air filter is the washable filter, which is ten times more efficient than the standard disposable filters. It prevents up to 94% of the dust. It’s the best option in the long run. When is it too much dirty, then remove and wash it. After back it to the original position and start the mowing.
How to replace the lawn mower with an air filter
If the air filter is too dirty and unable to clean or the previous one is disposable, then it’s time to replace it with the fresh one. It’s not a hard task, and even you can do it at your garage. Follow this step-by-step process:
- Disconnect the spark plug
- Find the air filter location and remove the screw of the air filter housing
- They pull out the air filters. For the paper filter, if you see oil and dust overly and it uses at least two months, then it’s time to replace it. For a foam filter, if it has telltale brown or yellow staining, that shows it’s time to replace it.
- Look at the pre-filters (some lawn mower manufacturer equipped them). The pre-filters always made of foam. Double-check it and see if it becomes stiff, brittle, or stained, please replace it.
- Use a dry cloth to clean the air filter housing(always using soft things that cannot damage it) and ensure there is no dust. And never use compressed air because it forces the dirt or debris down the throat of the lawn mower’s carburetor.
- Replace the filters into the original position and cover it with the screw or snaps fitting.
- Never force or create lots of pressure. It will assemble automatically. If it is not, that means probably you making a mistake. Then recheck everything and do it correctly.
Best Lawn Mower Air Filter
Note: Before purchasing the best lawn mower air filter always check its sized and type.
A clean lawn mower air filter is part of lawn mower maintenance. You probably buy a high-performance lawn mower, and if you are not maintaining it properly, you could not use it for a long time. That’s why my recommendation is after 25 hours of mowing; you should check the air filter’s condition.